Old July 30th 14, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Cycling perspectives 1 of 9

Andre Jute wrote:
On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:06:15 PM UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message ers.net,

Anonymous writes

In article

Nick wrote:

On 27/07/2014 19:25, JNugent wrote:

Not in a civilised country. There is no legal compulsion for carrying a

driving licence (still less a "driver's license") with one at all times.

As a pedantic point, in theory in the UK I thought we were required to

carry a driving licence.

No

AIUI the almost universal rule that the offence of not carrying a

licence will not be pursued if the document is produced at a police

station within 7 days is a privilege not a legal right.

No

Perhaps this is out of date the only time I have been asked by the

police to produce my licence was 20 to 30 years ago.

Probably

My understanding has always been that the offence was not not carrying

your motoring documents (licence, certificate of insurance and, where

applicable, MOT certificate), but instead it was failing to produce them

(there and then) at the request of a police officer.

--

Ian

That's right. But the net effect of "producing" is that you have to carry
the documents. Generally speaking, the police in their discretion allow
you to produce the documents at a police station (possibly a specified
local police station -- I don't know, because it has never happened to
me) within a specified time, normally seven days. This applies to
Britain, or did the last time I lived there.

Andre Jute

Depends on where you are over here. Just google for driving without a
license on person. First hit for me is
http://www.slsedmonton.com/criminal/traffic/safety/

200 bucks for no license at all. 150 for not having it with you.

--
duane