Old July 31st 14, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Cycling perspectives 1 of 9

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:15:11 AM UTC-4, Duane Hébert wrote:
On 7/31/2014 6:29 AM, Andre Jute wrote:

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:05:52 PM UTC+1, Duane wrote:

Of course here we get demerit points on our license for certain cycling

infractions - blowing a light or something.

A sneaky administrative way of *licensing* bicyclists.

In the perfect police state everything that is not expressly permitted is forbidden.

Andre Jute

Yes. But then again, there are a lot of cyclists around here and not

all of them ride very carefully. I guess it's a way to get the point

across. 3 points on your license increases your car insurance for 3

years. More significant than a simple fine. Personally, I'd prefer if

they also did this for people riding the wrong way on the road with head

phones on and texting. These are the ones I find particularly dangerous.

What's sneaky is if you don't have a car, the points stay on your

"record" for 5 years in case you get one.

Unfortunately it does nothing for the scofflaw bicyclists who do not have a motor vehicle license. That is the driving force behind those who want to see bicyclists licensed as are other motor vehicle users.

The only collision I ever had with another vehicle was when I collided with wrong way (single lane road) bicyclist who zoomed out of the blind intersection onto busy King Street in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. That collision bent my front fork back to the point the front tire would not clear the downtube. Fortunately bu turning the bicycle upside down and putting my feet against tthe bottom bracket shell, I was able to straighten it enough to ride the 50 kilometers home. Unfortunately the downtube was also bent and at the time I didn't have tthe expertise to straighten it. That was the end of a very nice track frame.

thus, I detest wrong way riding bicyclists.

Cheers