Old July 11th 16, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default Torpedo 5-speed pulley photo

John B. writes:

I've standardized "bicycle bolts" to
stainless socket head (allen head) bolts.
The don't rust, they look all right and
I only need 4 allen wenches to work on my
bicycle. Hardly necessary but I detest nasty
old, rusty screws.

Exactly. Often if you clean the area of the
bolts and nuts and replace them this makes for
a whole new bike.

I also standardize but to hex bolts (M5s
mostly) because they are pull- and holdable
from the sides as well as the front, and this
makes it very seldom they are so entrapped you
have to remove something else to get to them.

I'm still wondering about the clamp on
pulleys. They look like overkill unless the
shift gear has an unusual strong spring.
5,7,9,etc., derailers have used a metal guide
for years, apparently without problems.

You can try pulling the small chain and rod out
of the hub with your hand, this I think
requires more power so the wheels do help.

- so far: 56 Blogomatic articles -