Old October 2nd 03, 02:52 PM
Deep Freud Moors

Default Bike Tyre Launched Rocks

Gags wrote in message
Was riding home today in a bike lane and without aiming for it, I managed

run over a reasonably sized rock. I'm sure most people have had rocks go
flying at 90 degree or so to the way you are travelling but this one was a
beauty.......went clear across the road and hit a fence still going a
million miles an hour.

I am about 97kg and run my tyres at 110psi and it seems that when I do
launch a rock, it goes at approximately warp factor 9. I have had a

couple
hit parked cars, fences, houses, etc.

My concern is I wonder where I stand legally if a rock that is unwillingly
launched causes some damage (eg. paint chip on car, smashed window, etc.)
Or worse still, what if I managed a "one in a million" rock that took out
someone's eye?? I would guess that if a car did this, their compulsory
third party insurance would cover it but obviously that is not the case

for
a cyclist.

My thoughts are that the council responsible for the road would be the

ones
responsible but I am no legal-O??

An act of god maybe? Surely they could not pin something like that on you,
unless it was clear that you were actually trying to hit the person with the
rock. You could maybe sue the council, but can they be held accountable just
because there is a small rock on the road?

Perhaps you could post this to aus.legal, and see what they reckon.
---
DFM