Old May 20th 16, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default loose chain guard with defect plastic bar to hold it

On 5/19/2016 10:28 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. writes:

I would comment that not all bicycles are
equipped with chain guards and people seem
ride bicycles either with or without chain
guards. I never, for example, heard anyone
say "Oh! I can't ride that bike. Why it
doesn't have a chain guard."

Maybe there is another bike culture in your
country (?) perhaps because of different
weather, here, with snow, and water that turns
into ice, virtually all bikes have chain guards
and if a bike doesn't come with one this would
be associated with sport, some dude trying to
cut a couple of hundred grams or whatever is
the weight of a chain guard.

In the U.S., an astonishing percentage of bicycles would be considered
by Europeans to be more suitable for "sport" than anything else. And
indeed, very little bike use here is for anything else.

Even many (or most?) of the small percentage of Americans who use bikes
for utility seem to pick something that looks like a "sport" machine.
That's just the way it is here.

I'd bet fewer than 1% of adult American bikes have chain guards. None
of mine do.

--
- Frank Krygowski