Old April 10th 15, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default understanding the rear sprocket

On 10/04/15 12:10, Emanuel Berg wrote:
James writes:

I must have done something wrong reassembling the
sprocket because tho the break and everything seems
to work at first glance I have now detected an
unexpected behavior which isn't always but often
enough and that is when I pedal sometimes there is
no resistance for perhaps a quarter (plus) of the
full circle before normal resistance kicks in and
there is forward force. So there is an unpleasant
"leap", like falling through a trap door. Do you
recognize this problem? Is it indeed related to
the sprocket?

Was there a ratchet mechanism that allowed the
sprocket to free wheel? Did you grease the ratchet?
Sometimes grease or heavy oil can prevent the pawls
in a free wheel from engaging.

I don't know what a "ratchet mechanism" is - do you
see in in these pictures?

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/sprocket/

But yes! I did put grease on the ball-bearings and
a thin (but still) layer on everything else.

So probably that is it! Should I disassemble it and
wipe it dry or will it start working automatically
in time?

Ah, I see. Couldn't remember what you had.

It could be that the clutch mechanism is worn or not moving freely, or
the spring is weak. Mr Muzi would know best what to do.

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bicyc...d_overhaul.htm

"If the clutch were to lose its friction, the clutch body would simply
rotate with the sprocket, and no screwing in would occur, and therefore
either propelling would never occur, or would occur slowly and only with
a great deal of pedal spinning. I had that happen once, and the problem
was fixed by replacing the clutch assembly."

--
JS