Old June 6th 11, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Default Odd remark from a mechanic at LBS

russellseaton wrote:

Anton Success wrote:

I think I'm running cantilever pads while I have v-brakes

could this be why salmon koolstops squeal so bad after a short initial
bite?- Hide quoted text -

Your brakes squeal because you are using Koolstop pads. *Koolstop pads
SQUEAL.

None of mine do.

Some brakes on some pivots are chronically likely to squeal regardless
of setup. Short, loose-fitting bushings and cantilver brake arms that
flex between pivot and pad are reliably loud features. Such brakes
squeal more loudly or more often when fitted with pads that have a
high friction coefficient, like Kool Stop red oxide pads.

High friction coefficient isn't really a fault of brake pads.

Some brakes can be rendered quiet through the use of sorrier pads, in
the same way that almost all brakes can be made silent by
disconnecting the actuating cable.

Chalo