Old August 16th 04, 01:44 PM
Jimbo(san)

Corvus Corvax
It's been raining all week, so the singletrack is going to be soup. No
good. So instead we do something different. My wife and I strap the
fixies onto the shiny new bike rack. Carefully. We double-check.

Triple-check.

So that was six checks between 2 people??? ;-P

We drive north to Lockport, up to the Erie Canal. The old canal

towpath
is a doubletrack gravel trail now, flat as a board and extending
(intermittently) all the way to Albany. This stretch of trail runs
uninterrupted 70 miles or so east from Lockport. I've put the fattie
38c tires back on the fix, J. is on her fix, and we hit the smooth
trail through the green fields along the canal:

Very nice... I awlays see brochures for the canal at the rest stops on
the way up to TO...
Sounds like an interesting thing for a passing tourist to do... Hmmmm

This is where the weirdo fat-tired fixies thrive. Hardly singletrack,
a mountain bike would be total overkill. But a full-on GRS rig
wouldn't
do at all. We're riding kinda S&M hybrids.

Isn't weirdo, fix gear and S&M synonymous?

But the real cool **** is the rolling farmland, corn and apple
orchards:

Bet you the orchards and farmlands would be beautiful in about a
month's or so's time eh??? nudge nudge wink wink

"Wanna see?" she says. I
decline, explaining that I prefer to visualize her chest _not_
infested by insects. Call me funny.

Funny... You call yourself a weirdo and a sadist???
Come to think of it... good plan

Heading back, somewhere around mile 38, I imagine I see the spot
where
we've parked the car ahead, and break into a last, desperate sprint.
It
isn't the car. My wife is a speck on the trail behind me, and I flame
out shamefully. I, uh, let her catch up. We spin to the end of the
trail together. Forty miles offroad on the fixies. Owooga. We enjoy
a couple of cold brews canalside at the end of the ride, and we attack
our dinner like wolves.

CC

Very funny... Sprinting to the finish??? If I didn't know you I would
say roadie... but I know you were just sprinting for the brews

Jimbo(san)

--
Jimbo(san)