Old August 18th 17, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Powder Coating

On 2017-08-16 06:53, wrote:
The colors and consistencies you can get in powder coating is
fantastic. I found some slightly metallic very bright blue.

The problem is that powder coaters are not bicycle painters so the
rear dropouts that are chromed will be covered as well as everything
else.

So does anyone have an idea of how to remove the powder coating from
the dropouts without destroying the chrome at the same time?

AFAIK it's done the traditional way:

https://itstillruns.com/remove-paint...e-4809619.html

Paint is totally different to powder coat, AFAIK: traditional masking
will tend to rip off a strip of coating where you want it to stay.

Powder coating is most often done electrostatically - I vaguely remember
something about painting melted wax onto the chrome bits. The right kind
of wax is an insulator that doesn't electrostatically hold the sprayed
on powder - or not so much anyway.

The end result still needs a bit of finishing round the edges - but you
shouldn't end up having to strip it back and start over.

It's being done:

http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2013/08/masking.html

The edge line won't always be as sharp as with paint but on the near the
inside of the rear dropouts I guess it won't even be a cosmetic issue.

This is good information since I was worried about the rear wheel adjusters. The frame had a worn out bottom bracket so I left it installed to protect the threads.

The only thing I was concerned about was perhaps masking off the chrome rear dropouts but decided that it wouldn't matter because the powder coat is just as nice looking as the chrome would be.