Old August 18th 17, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Powder Coating

On 2017-08-16 09:20,
On 2017-08-16 06:53,
wrote:
The colors and consistencies you can get in powder coating
is fantastic. I found some slightly metallic very bright
blue.

The problem is that powder coaters are not bicycle painters
so the rear dropouts that are chromed will be covered as well
as everything else.

So does anyone have an idea of how to remove the powder
coating from the dropouts without destroying the chrome at
the same time?

AFAIK it's done the traditional way:

https://itstillruns.com/remove-paint...e-4809619.html

For next time: Powder coat places are very much used to
masking areas but they have to be told which ones. With
ultrasound machine chassis we had them do that all the time
because some panels had to make electrical contact for safety,
EMC, noise and other reasons.

That did give me the idea that I can't use my miniature wire
brush on the rotary tool.

Try not to ever do that on a bicycle.

... I don't know if lacquer thinner could work on powder coat but
I can certainly try.

Can't hurt to talk to a shop in your area that does powder coating.
They might be able to sell you a solvent or, if that comes in a
bottle with skull and bones on it, they might offer to do the job
inhouse for a reasonable fee.

I powder coated my wife's Mercian, spray painted on the
contrasting headtube color and then put on the decals. That bike
road coast to coast and there is only one small nick in the
powder coat from laying it in the station wagon on top of a
wheel. Otherwise after 20 years it looks almost new.

You should see my bikes. All scratched up and quite dirty. With the
MTB that is inevitable due to the frequent rock hits.

http://analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy3.JPG

The rear looks very different now, with a diagonal strut and a
smaller electronics box. But it's just as dirty.

The shop had to sandblast the old paint off so I imagine that messed
up the chrome surface anyway.

Yes, that may already have compromised the chrome plating. Hopefully not
to badly.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/