Old July 29th 04, 11:34 PM
john_childs

Default Is rubber buffer between seatpost and CF base necessary?

I used some large smooth washers with rounded edges between the rail
adapter and the CF seat base. Without the washers the rail adapter
makes contact with the CF seat base at four pointy points. It's not
good to have all the forces on the CF seat base concentrated on four
pointy points like that. The washers spread that force out over a
larger area and avoid having the forces concentrated at sharp points.
The washers accomplish the same effect as the rubber inner tube pad.

Ideally the seatpost mounts would have the exact same curvature as the
CF seat base so there wouldn't be any sharp concentrated points of
contact. But the curvatures aren't the same so we need to do something
to spread out the contact area. The washers or rubber pad are two ways
to spread out and smooth out the contact area.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com