Old May 5th 18, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default Thoughtful non-cyclist of the day

On 05/05/2018 11:38, TMS320 wrote:
On 04/05/18 23:47, JNugent wrote:
On 04/05/2018 23:21, TMS320 wrote:
On 04/05/18 23:12, JNugent wrote:
On 04/05/2018 22:01, TMS320 wrote:
Today this cyclist was in my car because it was suitable for the
journey in hand - another errand today was suitable for the bike. I
was in a stop start queue when a non-cylist in a panzer suddenly
barged out of a driveway causing a woman with a pushchair to take a
step back and then blocked the pavement. Luckily it wasn't an
elderly pedestrian that could have fallen backwards - like my
mother-in-law a few years ago. (Oh, hang on, it is supposed to be
impossible for licenced, registered, taxed and insured non-cyclists
to do this. But if it turns out to be not impossible, being
licenced, registered, taxed and insured somehow makes it alright.)

Anyway, rather than opening a gap to let the non-cyclist out, as
usual courtesy in a queue, this cyclist moved forward with the
queue to block her way. I felt no need to use my horn to scream at
the non-cyclist, because the ears of the woman and child were not
protected by layers of German steel andinsulation. Said non-cyclist
then reversed back to let the woman past.

It's always good to upset a non-cyclist without consuming any of my
own time over it.

Vehicles entering and exiting driveways have priority* over traffic
crossing the entrances to those driveways.

Rubbish.

Don't be stupid (assuming you can help it).

You know as well as everyone else that cyclists using footway cycling
facilities are under a duty to give way to proper traffic at every
driveway entrance. This is often given as one of the reasons for
preferring the carriageway.

Nobody was riding a bike on the footway.

That does not matter. The fact that cyclists are under a duty to give
way at such locations is merely an indication that all users of the
route are under the same obligation. The rules are not different for
cyclists (though cyclists often behave as though they are).

Which bit of "causing a woman
with a pushchair to take a step back" did you fail to comprehend?

That happens every day. Every minute, in fact, when pedestrians fail to
recognise priority of other modes (in certain situations). I've done it
myself as a pedestrian. So have you. And I've seen countless examples of
adults pushing prams, etc, where they push the pram out into the
carriageway whilst waiting for passing traffic to... er... pass. People
do the daftest things Sometimes it's becuause they don't know the rules.

You knew that but chose to ignore it when making up your story.

It is a true story.

Yeah, right.

So I was right, drivers can do no wrong in your eyes.

People crossing across a properly laid-out footway crossing between a
driveway and the carriageway have the priority, whether they're on a
bike, in a car, etc.

You knew that.

That's why bikes on footways have to give way at every driveway.