Old April 18th 11, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Default Self Sealing Inner Tube: Do They Work ?

T[]m Sherm/\n wrote:

Bob wrote:

Do those "self-sealing" inner tubes work ?

Some swear by them, other swear at them.

When putting on new tubes, worth going to the trouble to get them ?

Any thoughts on would be appreciated.

Do you live in an area with lots of puncture vine thorns, broken glass,
etc where you will be riding? *Otherwise, flats are not that common,
assuming that you are not using racing tires with relatively thin and
fragile casings and tread.

The basic problem with Slime and its analogues is that such substances
treat an air valve as a puncture. They also sometimes treat pump
heads as punctures. And they make patching much more difficult,
bothersome, and unreliable. It often surprises me how much nastiness
and annoyance people will tolerate to avoid a relatively small amount
of puncture repair, when it really isn't that big a deal. (I don't
live in goathead country, but I do get surprised by Slime in a lot of
my customers' tires.)

If you use a puncture-resistant tire that weighs as much extra as the
amount of Slime most puncture-phobics use, you probably won't be
getting punctures anyway.

Chalo