Old October 26th 17, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Michelin Power Endurance Tires

On 2017-10-26 09:56, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/26/2017 10:24 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 2:27:58 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 3:50:31 PM UTC-7,
wrote:
I picked up a piece of glass today and got a flat on my third ride
on this tire. I didn't get any flats on the Pro4 Endurance though
some people say that they cut easily.

The Pro4 Endurance tire rolled really easily - something that the
Power Endurance doesn't seem to do. Though that could simply be
personal opinion.

I'm selling a set of wheels and they have Specialized Armadillos on
them. They did not have more than possibly 500 miles on them and
showed a lot of wear. While looking at them one of them had a real
long cut but still no flat. These are VERY expensive tires.

But the flat I got today I'm sure I would not have gotten on a
Continental Gatorskin.

So it appears that Continental is still the uncontested king of
flat-proof tires.

That's disappointing to hear. I don't think my Pro4 Endurance are
that tough, but they are certainly more flat-proof than Pro4 Service
Course. The version II of the Pro4 Endurance supposedly had lower
rolling resistance than version I of the Service Course. The
Endurance was a pretty fast tire. You have to wonder why they fooled
with it. I don't think Gatorskins or 4Seasons have changed in ten
years. Conti has not seen a need to constantly fiddle with them,
although like Joerg said, they might want to re-think the sidewalls.

I hope not if it means increasing rolling resistance. If you don't
want flats or side wall cuts in case you hit a rock use Schwalbe
marathon plus tires and accept the weight penalty and increase in
rolling resistance instead of demanding sturdier side walls of high
performance tires.

The worry about sidewall cuts surprises me. I get them so seldom they're
not even a concern. That's despite regular brief excursions on gravel,
using Paselas, or Gatorskins, or Schwalbe Marathons, depending on the bike.

Long ago I had some sidewall bubbles (not cuts) in Continental touring
tires, but I think that's a different problem entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7VR3jdwZ3k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vOQQISgIjs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEUYW7LNgw4

Some of their other series seem to have side wall blows as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiPBo0hdrvA

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/