Old August 27th 05, 02:28 PM
steveyo

Default My helmet saved me, and broke

Hey all -

I was out in front of the house yesterday, practicing a bit of hopping
on my KH29. After a UPD I mounted up again, and, as I'm sure everyone
has experienced, I placed my second foot a bit too far back on the left
pedal.

Now when this happens, I just unweight that foot and jiggle it forward a
bit. Getting cocky, however, I tried to FLIP the pedal backward under
my foot to reposition it. Too cocky.

I think what happened was I stopped the pedal, but anyway, I slammed to
the ground MUCH faster than I ever have. Too fast to really get my
hands up, and the thing that took the impact was the front, right edge
of my bike helmet.

The helmet's foam got compressed and cracked up the middle. If I hadn't
been wearing it, my forehead/nose/right cheekbone would have smashed on
the pavement.

As it was, the tip of my nose barely touched the road, and I walked
away with a bruised thumb and a scraped knee.

I used to wear the helmet just as an example to my kids and other
neighborhood kids. From now on I'll be wearing one and telling the
story of how a helmet saved my face and head.

--
steveyo - Last will be first

steveyo

"I complained I need new shoes, until I met a man with no feet." -
unknown

"Do whatever steps you want if
you have cleared them with the pontiff"- Tom Lehrer