Old April 20th 09, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jules[_3_]

Default The BMA Promote Safer Cycling

wrote:
On 19 Apr, 21:55, Judith Smith wrote:

There are many people here who will not answer a very simple question:

Do you think on balance that a cycle helmet is more likely to reduce
the risk of injuries to the head in case of an accident, or do you
think that it would increase the risk of injuries?

Simple answer is, I don't care as I never wear one, so have no real
interest in the matter. I don't wear elbow pads and knee pads like
skateboarders might do, so have no interest as to whether they could
protect me either.

I don't wear a crash helmet in my car, like a racing driver might do,
so have no interest as to whether a head on smash in my car might
result in a lesser injury to my head by the same token.

When it is icy, I don't walk to the shops with a plastic hat on, even
though there is an increased risk I might slip and bang my head.

So the upshot is - I don't care.

As a matter of interest: Do you wear a seat-belt in your car? Would you
wear one if it wasn't a legal requirement? Did you wear one before it
was a legal requirement (assuming you are old enough)?

--
J.