Old March 21st 18, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Better map service for cycling than Google Maps?

Jeff Liebermann writes:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 07:57:02 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

The only Google service I used until recently was Googe maps. However,
now they have made the font so small that it has become almost
unreadable and to me, therefore, useless on any of my computers. From
what I read in online searches that cannot be corrected by the user
because it is supposedly rendered as graphics.

True. Google maps are sent as "tiles" which have all the text
imbedded in the image.

Open Street Map is lacking a lot of information. For example, the whole
long El Dorado Trail singletrack is missing. Yeah, one can edit that as
a user but I don't want to re-invent the wheel.

I haven't checked but is Open Cycle Map any different or better?
https://www.opencyclemap.org

I just took a look at my neighborhood. It looks just like the cycling
layer in openstreetmap, and has the same problem: no highway numbers.
Many of the numbered state highways here are perfectly reasonable for
cycling, being cobbled together out of surface streets. The street
names tend to change frequently, so highway numbers are quite helpful
for navigation. The limited access freeways are not at all suitable for
cycling, but they are still some of the most reliable landmarks
available.