Old November 21st 06, 04:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Last Child in the Woods -- Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder

On 19 Nov 2006 11:16:06 -0800, "Ed Pirrero"
wrote:

S Curtiss wrote:
"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message

WHY? I have yet to hear even ONE good reason for allowing bikes off of
pavement.

You have yet to ACKNOWLEDGE good reasons.

Ding! We have a winner.

Really, only one reason need be espoused: because I want to, and am
able to.

You didn't read the question. I was asking for " ONE good reason for
allowing bikes off of pavement." NOT why YOU should ride. Why someone
else should LET you ride off-road. NOW answer the question. "Because
YOU like it" is not a good reason for a LAND MANAGER to allow you to
do it. Otherwise. that same reason would allow people to grow
marijuana on public lands.

This encompasses both the personal inlination which is not subject to
the MJV scale of acknowledgement, and the legality of any particular
locale for riding. Obviously, I would not be able (legally) to ride in
a wilderness area. But on private timber company land, when that
company explicitly welcomes MTBers to use the human-powered-only trails
(no horses/motos), then all conditions are met. Even the MJV "habitat
damage" criteria - since it's harvest-forest land, my biking activities
are nothing in comparison to what's going to happen in 10-20 years -
clear cut, then re-plant.

Ooops, did I say something?

E.P.

===