Old June 25th 04, 03:05 PM
Simon Brooke

Default general buying advice please

in message , David
') wrote:

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a new bike, and would like some general buying
advice. I currently have an ancient moutain bike with 21 gears -
basic. My riding is probably 50 miles a week at most, with a mixture
of 50% off road and 50% on road.

I've been looking at off roaders with suspension. I'm looking to spend
a minimum for something decent - maximum budget is probably £150ish.

Add another nought.

You are not going to get a new full suspension bike worth having at much
under a thousand. There are second hand bargains to be had if you're
careful but even they will cost a lot more than £150. You can get a
usable hardtail (front suspension only) for about £400 upwards new,
half that second hand.

It might make more sense to give your ancient one an overhaul.