Old February 17th 18, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default my fixie doesn't need improvement

On 2018-02-16 17:56, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 09:27:28 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-02-15 11:03, wrote:

[...]

... And then hundreds/thousands of shifts later, the rear
shifting will stop. So you have weeks or months of warning long
before the rear derailleur stops shifting with Di2.

IMO there is stuff that mankind doesn't need so badly. Power windows,
power locks, automatic transmissions in cars. Or electric shifters on
bikes. I've got none of that and I don't want any of it.

I think I *might* argue in favor of the auto transmission option as it
is my understanding that it is possible for the auto transmission to
give better fuel consumption then hand shifting.

It generally is the opposite which can easily be seen when comparing
window stickers on the dealer lot. When we bought our cars in the late
90's automatics were about 10% worse than the same model with stick
shift. An exception could be very new transmissions and continually
variable ones.

... However, I believe
that this depends on both the driver and the use that the vehicle is
put to.

Yes. The other major advantage is that stick-shift handles better on icy
roads. That doesn't matter much in Thailand but it does in the
California Sierras.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/