Old February 6th 18, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Horst link bending forces

On 2018-02-05 21:20, dave wrote:
On Sun, 04 Feb 2018 09:59:47 -0800, Joerg wrote:

snip

I've seen injuries with fork failures (TK being a prime example) and
with early Al MTB front-end failures. I saw some front-ends detach,
although after big impacts that would have ejected the rider in any
event. I'm not in the know with MTBs, but it seems that suspension
failures would just result in a crippled bike rather than a crippled
rider.

It depends. If my rear shock detached the bike would bottom out. The
posterior mount of that loosened twice, last time on Wednesday, but now
I learned the symptoms and carry a 2nd 5mm Allen wrench in a pocket so I
can check tightness once in a while without having to unpack the tool
kit.

Maybe the application of some thread lock may be beneficial.

Loctite didn't help. This is on the side of the upper Horst link part
that flexes when braking hard. It happens on steep stretches of trail.
Though usually only every few hundred miles so a 5mm Allen wrench
carried in a quickly accessible pocket is fine. You just have to watch
for the symptoms before something down there eats itself.

--
Gruesse, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/