Old September 1st 18, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James Thomson[_2_]

Default Who are the guys behind Eddy Merckx in this photo?

On Tuesday, October 7, 2008 at 8:29:42 PM UTC+1, James Thomson wrote:
"James Thomson" a écrit:

I think:

Poulidor in the yellow cap and GAN jersey
Ocana in white
Agostinho in the Portuguese national jersey
Van Impe at the back in the Sonolor jersey

That leaves the rider on the far left, who may be a team mate of
Agostinho, perhaps Mariano Martinez.

Which would be stage 11, Carnon Plage to Mont Ventoux:

http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/e...tdf1972_11.php

Thévenet's coming from behind to take the stage:

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/ventoux%5B27%5D.html

James Thomson

This has been bugging me.

I think it's actually stage 13, Orcières to Briançon. We see this little group together chasing Raymond Delisle on the col de Vars:

https://youtu.be/KpRMKWhZNvU?t=305

Merckx and Agostinho chase down Delisle. Merckx attacks, is caught by Guimard, then rides away on the Izoard for the stage win in Briançon.

James Thomson