Old May 14th 04, 01:17 PM
David Hansen

Default Law on cycle helmets 'would save lives'

On Fri, 14 May 2004 12:18:38 +0100 someone who may be "Mucco"
wrote this:-

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...issue_id=10862

More than 2,000 cyclists were killed or injured between 1998 and 2002.
Seventeen deaths were children under 15 and 329 children were injured.

So, 4.25 children a year were killed. It doesn't say how many of
them died of events that caused head injuries alone. Even if there
was an invulnerability helmet that prevented any injury to the head
in any circumstances we can't judge how many lives such a helmet
might save. They are relying on the "if just one life is saved"
fallacy.

Dr Sean Walsh, consultant in A&E at Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children in
Crumlin, said he came upon up to 70 admissions a year for cycle related
injuries.

All injuries to the head only? All injuries to those parts of a head
that a helmet covers? How serious are these injuries?

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.