Old January 30th 18, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default average lifespan of a rear derailleur

On 1/30/2018 2:33 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

Also, the number of speeds makes
a difference. I've got one bike whose
derailleur pivots are really sloppy. But it's
used mostly for utility trips, and it shifts
a mere five-speed freewheel. As long as the
chain gets vaguely near the proper cog, all
is well.

OK, because of the wider chain and sprockets?

I sometimes see Monark steel bikes from the
80's (?) which have Shimano Positron 2x5 with
two parallel wires from levers on the
down tube. Those look pretty robust to me.

Add four to six extra cogs to the pile and
things get fussier back there.

Again, is this because of the smaller
components, or the chain angle, or that
shifting is all the more frequent when there is
always a "perfect" one just a click away?

I believe it's because with fewer speeds, there's usually more space
between the cogs.

I have one folding bike that has nine rear cogs and index shifting. I
find that folding and unfolding the bike sometimes upsets the index
shifting for a while, until things settle down. I assume it's because of
the flexing of the long shift cable housings. I doubt that would make a
practical difference if the cogs were spaced wider, with fewer speeds.

--
- Frank Krygowski