Old August 3rd 03, 06:25 AM
Pete Biggs

Default Q. Will I benefit from different tire size or type?

Joe Samangitak wrote:
- Lastly, I read expert testimonials that said slick tires are best
for pavement riding, cornering, wet driving, traction and have less
rolling resistance, basically because more rubber contacts the road. I
was looking to buy the Michelin Transworld City, but its not a pure
bald slick, it has fairly deep recesses, presumably to siphon off
water (which I read isn't necessary for bike tires, and that this
system doesn't work better than slicks). So my question is, would I be
better off driving in my city with a pure bald slick, such as the
Avocet Road 20, instead of the Michelin Transworld City?

Possibly but it doesn't mean siped tyres should be avoided, because they
may happen to be generally excellent tyres still with plenty of grip (more
grip than more heavily treaded tyres on road). There aren't too many
totally slick tyres on the market so it's unwise to limit yourself just to
them.

Or is it even
better to use DIFFERENT TIRES for the front and back?

Front tyre takes less weight and gets an easier life so it can be
different - different width, different tread, certainly different
pressure. Grip is more of an important factor for front tyre as well.

Any commonly
known disadvantages to going with pure bald untreaded slicks on
pavement, such as premature tire wear, as compared against tires with
a tread?

Treaded tyres tend to have a deeper layer of rubber so are more puncture
resistant and last longer. If this is a major concern, you could use a
tyre like this at the rear with a lighter, slicker tyre on the front.

~PB