Old December 8th 04, 11:30 AM
ritcho

Default Cycling benefits 'outweigh deaths'

cfsmtb Wrote:
Here's some breaking news from the world of politix that maybe o
interest to you. Same old message or important media release?

Discuss.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E1702,00.html

THE benefits of regular bike riding outweighed the loss of life throug
cycling accidents, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) sai
today.

.....refer to more, fwd'ed message below from Transport Australia

--- In , "Magarey Paul
paul.magarey@d... wrote:
Source documents for this are found at:

Media Release from Jim Lloyd:
http://www.ministers.dotars.gov.au/j...er/l60_2004.ht
(pasted below)

ASTB Web page: http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/mgraph/mgraph17/index.cfm
[snip]
--- End forwarded message ---

Well, it seems sensible enough to me, there were two key points tha
stood out for me:

1. Increasing participation in cycling is likely to reduce the _rate
of cycling accidents as less trips are taken by car and higher presenc
of cyclists on the roads improves motorists' familiarity with cyclists
- This isn't all that controversial and I'm sure will find favour i
this newsgroup...

2. Wearing a helmet reduces the likelihood of injury in the event of a
accident. (Except for neck injuries, according to the footnote
reference, otherwise the evidence in favour of helmets i
"overwhelming"). - This is flamebait that some people will loudly, i
not violently, oppose. Nevertheless, if I'm going to tumble down th
road, I'd rather have something between the road and my head...

I ride and I drive, but I like riding more than I like driving... No
they tell me it's good for me as well!

Ritch

--
ritcho