Old June 26th 07, 02:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Callistus Valerius

Default Runner Injured by Idiot Mountain Biker

Berns required 12 "Frankenstein stitches" and had to abandon the
race, as well as her lead, Berns said.

------------
There is no doubt that multi-use paths are deadly, even more than sidewalks.
I have a lot of exeperience on them, as they have an extensive network of
them around where I live. The operative word is "multi-use". Occasionally
I use them for shortcuts through town, but I keep the speed way down. Why
anyone would use them for training purposes is beyond me. What makes them
more dangerous than sidewalks, is you can really ramp up the speed, while a
sidewalk you're usually going a snails pace because of all the obstacles.
The street is way safer, at least most people know what the rules are out
there, on a multi-use, people seem to ignore the rules, and behave as if it
was their private domain.