Old July 13th 18, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Making America into Amsterdam

On 2018-07-09 12:48, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/9/2018 12:12 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:

European cities have some tendency to be more compact with shorter
rides
(1-2 km) for work and errands. American urban areas tend to be spread
out so that we can all have our half acre of lawn or more.

Where I live, a 2 km ride will get me to and from the library, our
dentist, the post office, the pharmacy and one convenience/beer store.
Hardware, groceries, restaurants, credit union or anything else is
further. I'm fine with that, but most Americans (probably like most
Europeans) will never ride 10 miles to get to and from their credit
union.

The Dutch and Belgians used to be different. 10mi, 20mi, big deal. But
can't say about today as this was 30 years ago.

Sorry, but if you mean that most Dutch and Belgians used to ride
something like 20 miles per day, I don't believe you.

Note that I didn't say "most of the population". Most of my friends,
yes. Or rather, nearly all of them. Most of the population I can't say,
of course.

Very popular was the "kroegen tocht" (pub run) by road bike, especially
among Belgians which is why I preferred to ride with them. 30-40mi with
here and there a beer. Dutch road bikers were often too competitive and
only concentrated on the sports aspects, many wouldn't ever consider
visiting a pub because that cost "valuable minutes".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/