Old December 10th 17, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 10:58:56 +0700, John B wrote:
On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 19:58:49 -0600, Tim McNamara
wrote:

The piece that you and Steven don't seem to get is that "good enough"
is good enough. Better than "good enough" rapidly becomes multiple
redundancy and enters diminishing returns. I don't need a beam
suitable for going 100 miles an hour because I never will go that fast
on my bike. But I descended on unfamiliar roads with my old halogen
setup at 25 mph; I could descend faster with my current LED light and
expect that will be even more true with the incoming eDelux II.

When is enough enough? When one succeeds in recreating daylight?
Fiat Lux!

Damn, probably 50 years ago I rode back and forth to work with a
bottle generator and a headlight with an incandescent light bulb. And,
part of the ride was across small "dikes"perhaps 10 - 12 inches wide
that divided a rice paddy. Slipping off the path there ended up with
the cyclist being knee deep in very smelly sludge.

Amazingly I rode that bike nearly every day for a year or so and never
had a problem.

I'd have probably ended up in the rice paddy in broad daylight. ;-)