Old March 15th 05, 03:19 AM
Mike Vermeulen

Hey there - this is probably a bit off topic, but wanted some advice
about bikes that are built for long rides and any recommendations.
Since this group is experienced with longer rides, I figure you all
would have a good viewpoint.

I currently ride a Cannondale T2000 touring bike. I like it a lot, but
it's heavy and built to carry a load. Looking for something I can
upgrade to that's lighter and built more for speed.

I think it depends what you define as "long ride". Carrying a load
can be good thing on some long rides :-). For example, I rode my
Cannondale T1000 touring bike one lap around the perimeter of
Australia. I will also ride it on the 100+ mile rides. I am a little
slower than average, but I figure that is more the rider than the
bike.

I also enjoy riding a TourEasy recumbent bicycle on 100+ mile rides.
It is also comfortable on that distance and generally slightly faster
than my Cannondale (though also slightly heavier).

In May, I have an upcoming trip of 8 days/830 miles, (see
http://www.hellweek.com/vegas.html). I am thinking of riding 4 days
on the TourEasy and 4 days on the Cannondale and doing a back-to-back
comparison.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen