Old January 4th 17, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On 2017-01-04 09:14, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/4/2017 10:17 AM, Joerg wrote:

Ever since I began using REMA patches and the cement that comes with
them my result were less stellar than in Europe with the classic kits.
Those contain much thicker patches that looked like round chunks of
tube, sometimes slightly beveled. Can't find those here in the US.

Currently I have two tubes of the thick expensive kinds where REMA
patches partially came off after test-inflating outside the tire.
Despite being very diligent with sanding and applying.

I don't see any value to test inflating a freshly patched tube outside
the tire. You're imparting stresses that the patch-to-tube bond will
never see in its normal working life, and it will be difficult for that
immature bond to resist them.

With Gatorskin tires and shallow rims it is a must.

Why? Use the proper patching technique (which is not difficult),
reassemble tire and tube then ride. It's silly to subject the fresh
patch to irrelevant stresses.

You never know if that hole was the only one. That's the problem. I
don't want to have to do the bucket of water thing every time. Certainly
not during a drought phase.

I only did this once
and never again: Fixed a hole on the side of a tube, mounted a new
Gatorskin. Those can take over an hour of wrestling to get the bead
over. Pumped it up. Next morning on the day where I wanted to ride ...
flat :-(

Patches that have completely cured stand up to being inflate outside the
tire, in my experience. I've never had one fail.

I did.

I suspect all of us have botched a patch repair at least once. That
should motivate you to use more care and better technique, nothing more.
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

The last failed patch job I remember was in 1976, I think. The end
result (pumping an unrepairable tube every five miles, while on a loaded
tour) inspired me to do the subsequent ones more carefully. And to
always carry a spare tube.

I always carry a spare tube. So far only used for other riders. To my
surprise we even made it home after I crammed my 29" tube into a rider's
26" tire. It was either that or hoofing it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/