Old January 18th 17, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 7:36:44 AM UTC-8, Joerg
On 2017-01-17 15:26, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
analog,

I will not explain tire mounting again. Retard at your
own speed

I have explained to you that these are _flat_ rims. Hard to
understand?

The Argent rim is just a Mod E2. Right?

Mine are Mavic Module “3†Argent “D†. Almost flat
inside.

http://equusbicycle.com/bike/mavic/images/11and12.jpg Pretty
standard rim of the era. Get VAR lever. It lifts the bead
over the
rim. Your problems will be solved. Getting another tire
or rim will
also solve your problems. Most people will not wrestle
with a tire
for a half-an-hour, at least not more than once.

I have broken many high quality levers on those and bike
shop owners have confirmed that issue. When they say "Good
luck getting them on" you know what you are up to.

The thick tubes I have do not exactly help in keeping the
bead towards the center but I made myself Delrin pieces to
do that. The relief that this provides is very limited
though, as evidenced by the fact that even with thin tubes
Gatorskins are really hard to mount onto these rims.

Fact is, the Vredestein tires always went on with ease and
the Gatorskin tires do not. Huge difference. However, the
Vredesteins had too many flats. So, I am looking for a tire
that is very puncture-resistant, has sturdy side walls _and_
is easy to mount. Eventually I will find one and then buy a
stack of them. Just like I did for the MTB where I found
three brands that work well.

That's a known deficient design with hardly any drop between
the bead seats and the center well. Not only those Mavic,
but Trek copied it for some all-time-lousy rims under their
Bontrager brand. Very hard to mount/remove tires; Joerg is
not making that up.

No doubt, but that design existed for decades -- and yet we persevered. BTW, wasn't Trek's Mavic knock-off a Matrix? I had some of those. http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.as...e9ff1&Enum=107 That's a Mod E knock-off.

I think this is what Joerg has: http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.as...107&AbsPos=176

When I had to wrestle Turbos on to E2s, I got the VAR lever. There was no internet where I could pout. Thank God for the internet!

Colorful story: I got factory-second Turbos through my friends who worked for Specialized when the whole operation was in a single building. The tires were thrown in a barrel, and employees got them free with the understanding that they would not be re-sold, which they were -- to me for $5. The early versions were impossibly tight, and I often had tires with wavy tread. I would ride occasionally with the Mike Sinyard and the Specialized band of merry men and worry about my wavy treads giving me away as a black-market purchaser.

-- Jay Beattie.