Old January 19th 17, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On 2017-01-18 15:22, Phil Lee wrote:
Joerg considered Wed, 18 Jan 2017
07:36:11 -0800 the perfect time to write:

On 2017-01-17 08:21, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

What I pay in car insurance annually would buy me an all new
bike every year. Skip cleaning the chain -- just put last
year's bike out with the garbage. Plus, my bikes are
reliable. I reliably change the chain when the wear
indicator indicates and change the tires when they are worn
out. I fix a flat now and then and do other routine
maintenance. It's not like some monumental inconvenience, and
if flats were epidemic, then I would switch to a hard-case
tire. I would not agonize over the fact that the 20lb tire
on my Subaru goes flat less often.

My point is that when I say I am going to be there for an
important meeting at 11:30am I don't want to leave half an
hour earlier just in case I get a flat. And good luck getting
that Gatorksin tire back onto one of my rims.

If it takes you half an hour to fix a flat, you have other
problems that need to be addressed.

Yeah, I could get new rims and/or different tires. That is why
finding a suitable tire isn't easy. You are welcome to come over
and try getting a Gatorskin onto my rims.

Dude, I was mounting first generation Turbos on E2s rims using my
bare thumbs, but when I could no longer stand the pain, I got a VAR
tool and packed that. http://tinyurl.com/j9ul39s

I've got various sets of really good tire levers. They are of no use
when wrestling the bead over the rim. Try Gatorskins on a flat Mavic
Argent rim. I am by far not the only one and people have used all sorts
of tricks. Problem is, there are no trick, just raw force.

... There are other
options as well. http://tinyurl.com/j2otl8g

Snaps off in seconds.

And if you are riding such gnarly ****, how is it that you are still
riding vintage rims? I would assume the brake surface is worn nearly
through or the rim is bashed up enough to justify a new rim
manufactured in the last decade with a deeper profile and a better
fit for most tires.

This is my 1982 road bike. I do not brake all that much so the rims are
ok. I also have two MTB where changing out a tire is a matter of minutes
and I could do it with one hand if I wanted to.

The (upright) bike I have most experience of fixing flats on is a 1987
Raleigh Royal touring bike, with original rims. The well in the rim
isn't deep, but it exists.
If you really do not have any well at all in your rims, then I would
suggest that you keep up with the technology and not use 21st century
tyres on a 35 year old rim, which may not adhere particularly well to
the ISO standard (it would have been about the time 622 (700c) was
replacing 27" as the standard, so might be a little bit off anyway).
Fitting new rims (which would probably be worthwhile anyway for rims
that old) would solve your problems.
MTB tyres are always easy, in my experience - I rarely need levers
even to take them off, so it's not really a fair comparison.

But why did _all_ tires in the 80's and 90's fit just fine and in
minutes? I rode a lot more on that bike than today (because I didn't
have an MTB) and went through lots of tires of various brands.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/