Old March 31st 18, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default High visibility law yields no improvement in safety

On Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 10:35:01 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/31/2018 6:38 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:

Btw, the French introduced a similarly despotic "gilet jaune" law hampering
casual bicycle use by the diminishing proportion of secular law-abiding
inhabitants starting on 1/1/2016, and here is the provisional French
statistic of Y2016 (and Y2010) vs Y2017:

http://www.securite-routiere.gouv.fr/content/download/37631/358704/version/1/file/ONISR_Accidentalite_routiere_estimations_2017.pdf

(The big picture should include mentioning that there were over 900
bicyclist fatalities annually in the 1960's.)

Yes, I was aware of the French law. I wasn't aware of an attempt to pass
such a law in a U.S. state, to which Russell alluded.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I was not alluding. I was telling the TRUTH. Here is the text of the bill I referenced. Requiring 144 square inches of reflective material on clothing. It was defeated, or not voted on. The reflective clothing portion was added by a lawmaker who did not want to pall any law that required a motorist to pass a bicyclist on the highway at a safe distance. He wanted to punish bicyclists by making them wear reflective clothing if he was going to punish his car driving voters by making them pass a cyclist by driving in the other lane. He wants to make sure its legal to pass bicyclists by driving within one inch of the cyclist.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislati...a=87&ba=HF2341

Go to end of page 3, beginning of page 4 for the reflective clothing portion. It reads:

H.F.
2341
high-visibility or reflective clothing.
1 A person riding a bicycle on a highway with a speed limit of
2 forty-five miles per hour or more, other than for the purpose
3 of crossing the highway at a crosswalk, shall wear clothing
4 and equipment which together contain at least one hundred
5 forty-four square inches of high-visibility or reflective
6 material visible to the rear of the bicycle. This section
7 shall not apply to a person riding a bicycle as part of an
8 organized bicycle riding event involving five hundred or more
9 bicycle riders at which one or more certified peace officers
10 are providing traffic control and direction.