Old July 5th 18, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Fastest bike?

On 7/4/2018 3:28 PM, James wrote:
On 05/07/18 02:48, jbeattie wrote:

You can buy Stages two-sided, if you're into accuracy, which may be an
issue if you're switching between bikes or really concerned about
accurate calorie burn numbers-- or are in some sort of competition
with other riders (who may or may not be posting accurate power
data).Â* Otherwise, I think consistency is more important than
accuracy. Spikes can be filtered with data ceilings, etc., but the
spike my son had -- which was actually 1,732 watts is within the one
second power output of Chris Hoy.Â* It was recorded by having the right
crank forward on a bumpy descent and not by massive quads, but the
meter is just recording numbers accurately. It's not going to filter
that out.Â* Maybe he is Chris Hoy! You can download the data and apply
filters later.

Is the crank position (cadence) sensor on the left crank and left chain
stay?

I wonder if the unit "thought" the cranks were rotating because the
rotation sensor recorded some jitter at the same time the load cell did?

To eliminate this by design, a better crank position sensor would help.
An encoder ring on the crank and sensor on the BB, for example.Â* Then
you don't need to try to "fix" the data afterwards, which I always see
as a giant fudge for poor engineering design.

Do any of the power meters have a position sensor?

There was a design of a power meter that had the strain gauge in the
bottom bracket as part of the spindle. That would have seemed to be a
better option, but not as easy to retrofit as a crankarm design, and a
pain to change the batteries.