Old November 21st 17, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Cold weather

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 09:12:13 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 18:46:07 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

When layering for cold weather, try to use not-underwear all the way
to the skin.

That seems a bit confusing. Not-underwear? Over-wear? all the way to
the skin?

I meant only that each layer should be one that you wouldn't mind
exposing by removing the layer above it.

Poof, all that struggling and erasing, and there was an easy way to
say it! At intervals, I considered complaining to alt.usage.english
that we have words for underwear and outerwear, but not for wear that
is neither.

Back when one could buy cycling clothes in women's sizes, and I didn't
have to improvise with sweat pants, "leggings" and the like, I would
start by putting on my wool shorts and a short-sleeved top, then add
up to three pairs of tights and any number of jerseys. (I had one
pair of alpaca tights that I could wear only in January, so three
pairs were always enough.)

This winter I may, if Tuesday's shopping trip isn't successful (it's
well past the season for buying warm clothes), wind up wearing wool
tights with embarrassing holes under my sweat pants.

I changed the return route after reading in Aldi's flyer that they
will sell wool socks on Tuesday. Going to Aldi will shorten the trip,
but I generally come out of big-box stores tired, and might want to
shorten the ride anyway. And if I'm feeling frisky, Parker Street
isn't my favorite way to get across US 30, and the crossing at 350 W
is quite nice.

I'm already wearing a disquieting amount of cotton. I hope to replace
some of it with polyester on Tuesday. (I can stand poly in very cold
weather.)

Mostly ready to go. I've decided to cross at Parker even if it's
still early (sun sets at 5:21), in order to buy sushi for supper.

Rats. When I checked the time of sunset with Weather Underground, I
learned that Wednesday's rain has been moved up to Tuesday. And me
with nothing to wear but cotton.
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net