Old December 23rd 17, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default new chain, slack

Frank Krygowski wrote:

By pivot, I meant the pin and the plates
attached to it. The part that acts as
a hinge. The point is, to get wear in the
chain, you need pressure on the surfaces in
contact, and you need relative motion between
those surfaces.

OK, but is there a reason why you bring this up
in such detail? Because isn't this just what
one would expect to happen from pulling
something in a chain?

Well, I didn't know. In the U.S. it's not
unheard of for people to have no ruler that
measures in centimeters.

Altho the metric system is completely prevalent
here in general, it seems almost all specific
fields has some or many conventions using the
old English system. Not just bikes: boxing
gloves, downpipes, drums...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573