Old May 4th 18, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Dynamo/LED power conditioning

On 5/4/2018 12:06 AM, bob prohaska wrote:

I'm unaware of any well-made, modern sidewall generators for bicycles.
For many years I used an old Soubitez roller dynamo, replacing it only
after plastic mounting parts started cracking. In performance terms I
think it's better than a hub dynamo (less weight, better output, acceptable
drag) but they are no longer in production and scarce on Ebay. The one
bottle dynamo I tried got hot to the touch at 10 mph.

I'm curious, what make of dynamo got hot at 10 mph?

I have ancient Union bottles on two bikes. I don't recall them ever
getting beyond very slightly warm - I'd guess maybe 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

This place has bottle dynamos:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos-bottle/
I've bought other stuff from them. Price and shipping speed seem very
competitive with American sources, and selection tends to be much better.

If I get a B&M headlight, it'll probably go on my UpTown 8 grocery chaser.
It's hard to find bulbs for the halogen front light, and that bike is at
least occasionally ridden in earnest at night.

This place has been a good source for bulbs of all kinds:
http://www.reflectalite.com/
They also have LEDs that are drop-in replacements for halogen dyno
bulbs. I bought one for a friend and have another in a headlamp that
I've only bench tested in my basement. It seems very good, but I haven't
tried it on the road. It's not yet needed on any of my bikes.

--
- Frank Krygowski