View Single Post
Old October 19th 18, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Replacing a used front rim

On Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 5:21:39 PM UTC-7, Steve Weeks wrote:
As others have noted, the "Effective Rim Diameter" (ERD) may vary widely among rims with the same "Bead Seat Diameter" (BSD). Only (*ONLY*) if you find a replacement rim with a BSD that is within a millimeter or two (at the most) will you be able to transfer spokes. Otherwise, you're talking about rebuilding the wheel.
This is not terribly difficult, but you should get a book about wheelbuilding to give yourself a better idea of what you are getting into. I recommend Roger Musson's book "Wheel Building". It's available at http://petitdragon999.free.fr/VTT/Ro...ilding-v5..pdf
Ideally, you would purchase the book; it's only about $12 dollars or so. It contains a lot of good information, not least how to measure the ERD.
I've used this book to successfully build front and rear wheels for my 700c road bike, and rear wheels for my 20" folder. I've never worn a front rim out, but my folder wears out the rear rim about every 2,000 miles. I've invested in an inexpensive truing stand (Spin Doctor) and a modestly priced spoke tension gauge (Park Tools), plus the usual spoke wrenches and a nipple driver (sounds painful).
Wheel building is fun!
Steve

I can build a wheel and true it in a half hour. This is with spoke tension equal so that it doesn't go out of true. But I don't consider it fun.
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home