Old February 5th 05, 08:48 PM
Matt O'Toole

Default How much does it realistically cost to ship a bike?

Paul Kopit wrote:

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 15:05:55 -0800, "Dave Thompson"
wrote:

is a *giant* PITA to properly prepare and pack a complete bike for
safe shipping.

I haven't had that much difficulty. If I can get the box with the
packaging materials that the original bicycle came in, it only takes a
few minutes.

Some people can't get the original packing materials, have no way to find them
and transport them home, and have never packed a bike before so they're not
confident doing it. They don't want to risk damage, or angering an a-hole
eBayer, so they simply let the "pros" do it and charge accordingly to cover the
cost. There's nothing wrong with this, as long as the charges are stated
clearly up front. In a major metro area where costs are higher, it wouldn't be
unusual to pay $90 for packing labor plus shipping.

Our local shop will pack a bike cheaply enough that it's not worth messing
with -- not even worth lugging a box home for. They do a great job, too.

If I do pack and ship a bike myself, I generally use Fedex Ground, which is
cheaper for bikes than UPS -- less than $30 coast to coast. Most bike shops
deal only with UPS. While they pay the lower business rates, it's still more
expensive. Many people are simply unaware of their options, other than waltzing
into the nearest Mailboxes, Etc., and paying whatever is asked.

Matt O.