Old October 22nd 17, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Bicycling & health benefits of?

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 4:53:56 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/21/2017 4:48 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 3:41:52 AM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/20/2017 9:30 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 3:02:37 AM UTC+1, Doug Landau wrote:
I don't remember Dr White, but I remember Jim Fixx, the prophet of jogging. I went off him when I discovered that his idea of a gourmet meal was a hamburger. He died at 52 while out jogging. Not exactly a recommendation.

What age did his dad reach?

Sorry, I thought it was well known. His dad also died of a heart attack. Right around the same age IIRC.

That proves that genetics are better forecasters than tree rings and tea leaves.

But now I'm wondering if his jogging didn't aggravate his genetic predisposition.

Andre Jute
The genes will get you

We can't know but only half his genome is paternal. Then
there are epigenic effects plus diet, environment, behavior
and biota.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

It's a long time since I studied classical Greek, but if "epigenic" (which my spellchecker wants to correct to "epigenetic") means effects superior to ("over") the genome, surely the very word is a contradiction in terms. I thought DNA was the master roll so to speak, none higher, none superior, none able to countermand the fate it decrees.

Andre Jute
Cursed with curiosity in a wikipedia age

Yes, epigenetic thanks.

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/conte...netics/memory/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I get it. Epigenetic used for "differentiated", to mean singularly or uniquely purposeful. Thanks.

Andre Jute
Epigenetic`: Another example of science getting into smaller and smaller parts of whatever.