Old April 2nd 14, 01:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default Southern cross drive accident

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 02 Apr 2014 10:48:42 +1100
James wrote:
On 22/03/14 06:32, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Fri, 21 Mar 2014 21:08:03 +1000
Stuart Longland wrote:
So ringing a bell was perfectly adequate. One only ever used the
handlebars for hanging on or steering -- to operate the brake you
backpedalled. That meant you had a hand free to muck around with a
woefully inadequate bell. The lack of distractions meant there was a
good chance the pedestrian concerned would hear you and react.

If you can't manage to brake and bell at the same time, then you are
riding a bike you can't manage.

I dare you to panic brake at the limit of traction and operate the bell
while the back wheel is hovering in the air.

I have absolutely no idea why you wouldbe doing that on a shared path.

Because any sensible person rides to conditions and if you can't see a
ped in time to slow and ride properly on a shared path you shouldn't
be on the path.

If you want to ride at a speed where a panic brake of that level is
something you need to do, then a shared path isn't the place for it.

I do about 25km/h on clear shared paths, but if I can't see what's
coming I slow, if there's a possible hazard I slow and if I want to go
much faster than that then a shared path is not the place.

Zebee