Old March 19th 18, 06:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default milling machine

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 21:14:30 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 00:35:20 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

What do you think guys, maybe this one is
a good choice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jML8nVSntuE

A good choice for doing what?

If you're thinking of buying a mill, either get one with servo drives,
or one that is easily converted to CNC by adding servo drives. (I
don't like steppers). CNC makes things much easier.

That also means ball screws for the table. If the machine is sloppy
when operated manually, it will still be sloppy when driven by a
computah.

Out of curiosity what do you reckon it will cost to convert a milling
machine to CNC? Replacing the feed screws with ball screws, installing
servos or stepper motors, the computer installation, etc.?

As for the safety lecture, it's all good advice. I would roll up my
sleeves, or use a velcro strap to keep them in place. The only real
accident I can recall was getting a sleeve caught in an industrial
sewing machine. Also, if you're using coolant, you'll never be able
to keep the machines as clean as the one in the video.

--
Cheers,

John B.