Old March 19th 18, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default milling machine

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 12:47:21 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Out of curiosity what do you reckon it will cost to convert a milling
machine to CNC? Replacing the feed screws with ball screws, installing
servos or stepper motors, the computer installation, etc.?

Some photos:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/CNC-conversion/index.html

Badly half done web page:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/CNC%20Conversion%20Project/CNC.html

Link to docs, manuals, and details:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1B_FtnU1LHjr0O7aoJoUVwbGOQRujyNnC?usp=sharing

I can get you the exact specs, prices, and sources (later) when I find
where I buried my notebooks.

There are kits available that are essentially plug and play
conversions for well known mills, such as Bridgeports. If the mill
doesn't have ball screws, you'll need a conversion kit for $1,000 to
$1,500. The Shizuoka ST-N mill already has ball screws, so this was
not needed.

So far, we have about $1,600 into the controller, 3 drivers, 3 servos,
and 3 added servo brakes. The servos are the biggest available.

We only have one phase 220VAC power available, so add in a phase
converter for the spindle motor for about $150 to $400 depending on
power.

We also need to add 5 inductive limit switches at about $20/ea.

I get the fun job of rewiring the machine with new wires, flex
conduit, relays, and sockets (coolant, tool changer, etc) for about
$15/ea. My guess is about 8 relays and who knows how much wire.

I'm also adding a 24V 6A DC power supply to run the brakes and relays.
I have some of these, but my guess is about $50 for a decent switcher.

Grand total should be under $2,500. Prior to going the do it thyself
route, we received estimates for complete systems, that started at
about $10,000.

We made a huge mistake by purchasing the various components from
different vendors in order to save money. Despite my demands that the
owner obtain the manuals on everything before purchasing, the owner
decided he was in a hurry. All the manuals are in either Chinese or a
bad Google translation of Chinese into English.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D