Old February 28th 11, 02:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default Besides Lycra its now a bike cam for Geoff!!!!!

On 28/02/2011 10:00 AM, Rob wrote:
Cyclists put mettle to the pedal to capture collisions

You're on bike-cam . . . Simon Hookham with the video camera mounted on
his bicycle, and some of the footage he has captured on his commute,
including near-misses with pedestrians and buses.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/c...227-1ba0x.html

Yeah I saw that article but I probably would not have very much use for it.

I am seldom buzzed by cars and in the last 20,000-30,000km I am guessing
it has happened to me less than 10 times and even then it has usually
been about half a metre so whilst it is scary, I am not too fazed by it.

I do see the argument for prosecuting those 10 or so drivers but even if
I did nothing, what I have learnt in life is that they will very likely
continue to commit irresponsible acts and they will be held to account
eventually - nobody gets away with it forever cos there is no forever

Maybe it is something to do with the fact that I ride in the middle of
my lane which deters drivers from buzzing me, maybe it is becos I am
sans the essential accoutrements - clothing (trying never to mention
brand names here so I don't have to go back into theraphy ), sunnies,
maybe it is becos my bike does look pretty rough and it is unlikely any
driver would want to accidentally scratch their vehicle playing silly
buggers, I dunno but any video footage of moi on me bike is gonna be
real boring.

I did start rigging up something with coathanger wire to hold my Nokia
N95 on the head stem to record some of my rides but I got bored trying
to figure out a locking mechanism to securely hold the phone so the
phone did not pop out of the carrier.

From a technical viewpoint, I would be curious enough to see what the
setup is like, eg power reqirements, storage, camera capabilities,
weight, connecting cables, etc. Might google for hat online shop mentioned.