Old December 13th 15, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Retraction

I have often said that mirrors are important enough that it's worth
wearing a helmet just to provide a firm support for your rear-view
mirror.

I recently discovered that now that Chuck Harris is dead, it is no
longer possible to buy a helmet mirror.

Hubbub's mirrors were designed to be a substitute for mirrors that Mr.
Harris could not make fast enough, but they are an inch and
five-eighths wide -- a bit more than half again the proper width. If
you do the math, that means that they block more than twice as many
steradians as they need to, so they don't fit neatly into the upper
left corner that you don't use very much. They are, in short, no
better than the billboard mirrors that my local bike shop gave up
trying to sell.

But, it now occurs to me, one could mount one of the billboard mirrors
so high and so far to the left that part of it isn't in your range of
vision at all. Too late; I've already taken my Hubbub mirror to the
Goodwill store. By good luck, my spouse remembered that he had
stashed away a Chuck Harris mirror that fastens with soldered-on clips
instead of the bent wires on mine, and the clips can be attached to
the suspension of my no-helmet helmet, so I can at long last wear my
new hat.

(The foam hats you see today started out as liners for hardshell
helmets.)

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/