Old September 28th 18, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Buy that wheelbuilder a drink!

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 6:45:48 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 16:23:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 10:12:40 AM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 19:05:55 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1/2018/09/...7819759698.jpg

Nice job!

Impressive, but also slightly misleading. The mangled plastic or
vinyl "bumper cover" is mostly cosmetic, not structural. Behind it is
a rectangular cross section pipe that serves as the real bumper. Any
impact is absorbed by either shock absorbers, or blocks of foam. The
other function of the bumper cover is to ride up and over anything it
hits. Hitting a high curb or another car transfers less energy if the
car rides up and over whatever was hit. That's my guess(tm) what
happened here. The bumper cover was in the process of riding up and
over the bicycle rear wheel. Apparently, there was enough crush depth
in the bumper cover to not lift the front to the car off the ground.
Had that happened, methinks the rear bicycle wheel would have potato
chipped or been squashed.

Also if you look at it you can see that the rear wheel on the fixy
is mangled and the spokes are broken.

I beg to differ. The rear wheel looks fine although the rear tire is
flat. It's kinda difficult to see all the spokes, so I did some image
enhancement (contrast and gamma) to favor the spokes and reversed the
colors to make the spokes easier to see. In my never humble opinion,
all the spokes look intact:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/fixie-crunch.jpg
Which spokes are broken?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

I'll agree that it is difficult to discern but you can't REALLY believe that that much damage was done to that car and the wheel is unharmed?