Old September 30th 18, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default hex entry at the back of pedal

Emanuel Berg wrote:
avid Scheidt wrote:

: Typical torque spec for a 12.9 grade 10mm
: socket head screw, which is what has an 8mm
: hex socket, is 80 NM (~60 foot pounds).
: Shimano pedals are 35 or 40 NM (25 to 29 ft
: pounds), as I recall. If you can't do that
: with a hex bit, you are not competent to work
: on anything.

:40nm, isn't that the typical casette torque?
:You are supposed to do that with an 8mm allen
:wrench? Not that I ever saw this situation
:first hand!

I can do 40 NM with a t-handle wrench. I admit I'm a big guy, with
good hand strength, and have tightened lots of fasteners. with an L
handled key, it's pretty easy. My long one is 15 cm long, so you need
to put a force of 266 N on the end of it. so put a bit less than 30
kilos into it. assuming no muscle, that's a bit of a grunt, not that
hard. Put a socket on a ratchet, and you can have a big lever, no
problem.

:BTW I don't think I put the pedals in that
:hard. I have a torque wrench but for sockets,
:not an open spanner - unless you can buy that
:as a separate part and plug it in?

What you'd want is called a 'crows foot wrench', a socket with an open
end wrench on it.

:But I doubt they (the pedals) will get much
:deeper anyhow...?

Tight pedals dont' move, which means they don't make noise.

--
sig 88