Old March 14th 08, 10:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Elgin (IL) Approves Preliminary Bikeway Plan

So I guess people in IL need a bif brother to ake sure they're safe
from even stepping into a pothole!! But they elected Osama Hussein as
Senator so it shows how smart they are!!!

On Mar 13, 8:58*pm, Bob wrote:
On Mar 13, 4:15*pm, wrote:

Here's an idea for your bright leaders in IL--- Don't call or declare
any route "safe" . *Here in NJ using bike routes often requires using
roads to get to the next trail segment. *If someone gets hit they
arent likely to get anything from the state as they assumed a certain
risk by cycling on the street. *Lockers and such are a great idea
though!!!!

On Mar 13, 8:25*am, Kristian M Zoerhoff
wrote:

Not quite a year ago now, I attended a bikeway workshop for the City of
Elgin, IL:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.misc/browse_thread/thread....
http://tinyurl.com/3cmks2

Last night, the Elgin city council approved the reworked preliminary bikeway
plan, which apparently includes a lot of the suggestions from that workshop
(I missed the meeting, so I don't have the exact details in front of me).
The council approved it unanimously, but not before the liability boogeyman
was brought up again (thanks, Illinois Supreme Court!).

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/couriernews/news/840306,3_1_EL13_A....
http://tinyurl.com/332ahk

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

The "liability boogeyman" Kristian mentioned (with an appropriately
sarcastic nod of thanks to the IL Supreme Court) has little to do with
a cyclist being struck by traffic and everything to do with roadway
maintenance and design. Google "Boub VS Wayne Township".

Regards,
Bob Hunt- Hide quoted text -