Old July 9th 20, 05:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Fat tire riders look like "fat heads."

On Wed, 08 Jul 2020 19:36:51 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann writes:
I then assumed that the cube rule would also work in the opposite
direction. To move the wind twice as fast requires eight times the
energy driving the motor and turbine. Again, notice that there's no
distance involved, yet. However, if I place a bicycle in the air flow
with a sail to catch the wind, the bicycle would be traveling at the
same speed as the wind. The bicycle will still arrive in half the
time, but because the 8x energy had already been delivered to the wind
by the motor and turbine, it still requires eight time the energy to

^^^^^^
There's your problem -- it requires eight times the *power*, but only
four times the total energy. Power is energy (or work) divided by time. If
you quadruple the force retarding your bicycle, and also double the
speed (distance divided by time), then you'll have to deliver eight
times the power (distance multiplied by force divided by time).

Y'er right. Mixing power and energy is where I made my mistake.
That's the same explanation provided by Ralph and Frank, but I didn't
understand it until now. Thanks for the correction.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D